Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Day 98-100 - The Last Days

My lack of blogging my last days in Cairo is so not cool...malesh. I shall catch you up on what I was up to or at least try to remember best what I did...

Natalie moved on to the greatest house boat ever! A boat full of winners. This was on Sunday...I think.

Definitely had a house warming/Caryn going away party on Monday. Good times, even with the 5 or so stray cats hanging around. Naa anorkor and I went to Khan el Khalili to get last gifts for people and to give Naa anorkor the experience of a true Egyptian meal. She told me not to tell her if she was eating camel or not....which she definitely did eat and thought it was very good. Then if my memory serves me correctly I went to The Curtain, the best roof top lounge/bar ever.

Tueday was a day for packing and last minute running around. We made another trip to the Khan again. Had some drink, oh man, I don't remember the name of it, at my friends shop. Then we began the adventure of finding/getting everything we needed. We were machines, walking fast through the market streets. We got everything just in time to head back home to get ready for our flights home. Naa anorkor was leaving earlier than me so I said my goodbyes to her, then went to the houseboat to say goodbye to all my friends there. My last meal in Cairo was Koshari or a version of it. My friend, has a driver friend, so I did not have to take a taxi to the airport.

This was probably the hardest goodbye I have had in all my travels. The moment I stepped in the doors the tears started to flow and they did not really stop until I got on the plane. I probably looked like the most ridiculous person but I did not care. So it was a sad departure but I got on the plane and found that I had a seat in business class...so random but awesome. I like to think it was my going away present from Cairo. The rest of my flights were pretty good, except from the time I landed in Amsterdam to the time I landed in Toronto I was freezing. I watched The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, The Soloist and an hour of X-Men: Wolverine. I didn't sleep. In Toronto I waited over an hour for my luggage. I made it to my gate with just enough time to call home and then I boarded on my last flight home. Mom, Dad, Cherilyn and Uncle Bruce were there waiting for me at the gate in Calgary. It was nice to see their faces. No tears surprisingly from Mom...well done :)

It was strange to be back home and to feel natural cold weather that was not being produced by an air conditioner.

No comments:

Post a Comment