Monday, May 11, 2009

Day 10 - A Normal Day

Since arriving in Egypt I have been dreaming the strangest and real dreams. You know the kind of dreams where you wake up and have to ask yourself if that actually happened or not. They are so disorienting and confusing.

This morning I woke up at 7. I decided I probably would not get back to sleep so I just got up. It was nice having so much time before I had to be at work to wake up and get ready for the day. I had cornflakes for breakfast and oh man did that bring me back to South Africa. The same funky tasting milk, at least it was cold, and not so flavorful cornflakes, it tasted exactly how I remember cereal in SA tasting.

Cairo was different this morning. It was chilly out, and super smoggy, like I just wonder what exactly am I breathing in. I am sure it is so not good for me, but I guess the air here can replace the paint fumes I otherwise would have been inhaling at home :) There were so many more people out on the streets than last week today. It confused me, I thought maybe it actually was not Monday or something. It was a bit of a disorienting morning.

Time at the center went by super quickly. Before I knew it, it was noon and the kids were heading out the door. I am trying to remember all of the kids names which is quite a task because there are 21 of them and I don't even know how to say some of them :) I am working on the twins in the class right now, Hans and Henry. The only way I can tell them apart is that Henry always falls asleep during class, other than that, they look identical. One of the girls, Ajac, was playing with my arm hair today. It was so funny. She thought it was so weird.

I was going to do laundry when I got home but I still haven't had Natalie show me how to use the washer (everything is in Arabic, therefore I do not know what it says) and also there was no water at the time, so that idea went out the window.
I asked my roommate if she ever had her laundry out in a sand storm or anything like that, and she has. As well as in the rain, which apparently is super dirty from the air and smog so it ruins clothes if it gets on them and she has lost a pair of pants to the wind. She was living on the 9th floor of this building and they got blown away in to someones balcony. She tried to track them down but never found them. I am sure I do not have to worry about rain falling while I am here, but I sure hope that I do not lose any clothes. I don't have many so that would suck. I can just see myself dropping them and then having to run down find them. Oh goodness...

I cooked some rice and vegetables for supper and in the process I almost broke the stove. It is gas and kind of sketchy. I turned one of the burners on and it was up as high as it could go and I could not get it to turn down or off. I was just imaging having to call Natalie or wait for her to come home and have the burner still flaming, haha, but I managed to get it turned off thank goodness. Disaster averted.

I bought toilet paper today. This may be super stupid but I got to wondering if Cairenes use toilet paper. I have never seen anyone buying any, or walking with any like I did today. It is also on the very top shelf where no one can reach. I am sure they use it...but I still wonder...

3 comments:

  1. Hi Caryn,

    As I read your blog I could just visualize you in each situation and I just had to laugh--you have such random thoughts and I just love seeing Cairo through your eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way you write, because it's exactly how you talk, and I can hear you telling the stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you see a water bucket in the bathrooms...don't ask about the toilet paper thing. In India & the middle east it's water and the left hand. Don't know if it is similar, but I would only touch food with my right hand in front of other people just in case. In India, using toilet paper is "dirty".

    ReplyDelete