Friday, May 8, 2009

Day 6 - St. Andrew's


I am done at St.Andrew's for the week. It is nice that I only work 4 days for now, but I am sure as time goes by and I get adjusted to being here I will want to be doing more things and be more involved with St.Andrew's. Friday's are the start of the weekend here, which is weird.

All I did today was go to the center and then I went for a short walk once I got home. I walked in the opposite direction that I walk to work and on my way home I totally walked past my place. I didn't even notice until I got to the computer mall which is at the end of the block. I was so disoriented, so weird. I accidentally slept for 3 hours this afternoon. So much for getting on Cairo schedule. Oh well sleep is always good no matter what time is it.

The class that I am helping with has 21 students in it, ages 6 and 7. They are a really cute bunch of kids and it is probably to take me 3 months just to try and remember all of their names. Class starts at 9 and the kids are taught 2 subjects then they have a half hour break where they are given a hot meal, milk and fruit, then they have one more hour of class and then they are free to go. They call me either teach or miss. It is really cute and they always shake my hand when they first see me. There are 2 kids in the class who are the main trouble makers or atleast get in trouble the most. I don't think they are actually always the one causing the trouble which sucks but I guess that happens. I am not sure where the kids are from but I know quite a few are from Sudan, if not all of them. The kids are quite violent with each other. They get into fights a lot so it is a good thing that can say no in Arabic and that they understand stop so I can break them up. Even when they are playing they are quite violent with each other. The teacher I am helping is very nice and I think she is happy that she can practice her english with me. It will be good to get to know the kids better as time goes on. Most of the other teachers are refugees so it is kind of awkward and hard to make conversation but I am sure with time people will come to know me and it will be better.

I noticed today that the bottled water that I bought this afternoon from the little street vender dude outside my building is expired. I do not know how important the expiry date is....I might just have to find a new place to get my water.

It feels like I have been here much longer than 6 days. It is so stange. I need to start reminding myself that I have not been here very long so it is completely normal that I am still adjusting. I guess I am just impatient :)

*No stars tonight but the moon was out

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful picture Caryn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the picture! I didn't know that bottled water HAD an expiration date...I asked Russ, and he said the plastic eventually starts breaking down, but that unless it was a year past the expiration date or something, it should be fine. I've done that, where I walk right past the place where I'm staying...you feel dumb, even though no one actually knows you did it. Your class sounds interesting. I know you're impatient to adjust, but it's a big adjustment, and you can't rush it. :)

    ReplyDelete