Saturday, May 23, 2009

Day 22 - Whirling Dervishes

You know you are dehydrated when you are painfully awakened in the middle of the night by a charlie horse in your calf. I think that is definitely one of the worst ways to be woke up. So not fun. Lots of water for me today to make up for the water I didn't drink yesterday :)

I went to Carrefour Mall this afternoon. It was a much better experience than last time was. My taxi there was a very nice taxi. It was much newer than most of the taxi's I have been in and he did not ask me how much I would pay. That is the key to not getting stuck with over paying. The mall was not too busy so I could actually walk around this time in the hypermarket. I got some food, 2 shirts and some under shirts. It was funny when I bought the undershirts, a man who worked there helped me and was like what size, like me or bigger. I sized him up and figured I was probably about the same, said yes like you and it ended up to be the perfect size. Now I have shirts to soak up my sweat :) You would like that layering in this weather would make it unbearable but I think it helps, especially because you are sweating so much (or at least I am). My taxi ride home I had to pay more but that is ok. I got him down 20LE so that was good. It was one of the brand new taxi's. The city is apparently replacing all of the old taxi's with nice white new ones. By replacing I mean creating a system so that taxi drivers can buy the new cars. The only problem with getting nice taxi's today was that they do not drive as fast so it takes longer to get from places. It was odd to be in a car that was driving more normal (not speeding, weaving and honking down the middle of the road).

I met Kathy (the director of St. Andrew's) and 2 of her friends and we went to the Al-Ghouri complex to see the Whirling Dervishes. It was so incredible. The music. The dancing. The colors. All just amazing. The dancers are members of the Mawliayya sect of Sufis, who are followers of a semi-mystical branch of Islam. These dance rituals are one way Sufis attain union with God.

1 comment:

  1. Wow- I have always wanted to see the whirling dervishes- lucky girl- you need to frame some of these shots when you get home- they are spectacular!

    ReplyDelete