Saturday, May 16, 2009

Day 15 - The Walk

I just want to point out that at 8:00 pm it was still 32 degrees outside. Hello to the next 2 months of my life!

I slept until noon today. I just couldn't get myself out of bed any earlier.

Around 2:00 I decided I would venture out and go for a walk. It started out great, even though it was hot outside. I was walking beside the Nile, very nice, lots of people. Many men, of course. I saw a lot and took many pictures, but around 5:30 I was ready to be home. I turned around and walked for a bit then caught a cab because I didn't want to walk anymore. Afternoon walks are not as enjoyable here, which is unfortunate.

Cairo is a very different from any place I have been. It has it's own atmosphere, architecture, and feel. I haven't had a moment where I think to myself this reminds me of ______. Everything is new. It is a very crowded city, with something going on no matter where you look or go. I am wondering where poor area is in Cairo or "the slums" in some cases. I am sure they are there, I just have not seen any area that would merit being called that. I guess there were some possible squater areas by the Nile, but I am not sure exactly what they were, so they could have been anything. But for instance, in South Africa, you couldn't go to far without see a township, or slum areas where people were living in little shacks constructed out of any random scrap that was large enough to make a wall. Rich would be overlooking the poor areas, there was no distinction in some places. It is not like that here. All I see here are huge buildings, some more delapitated than others, but that is all.

With the summer weather coming, doing anything in the afternoon will be interesting.

I do not really have any stories from today.

I made popcorn and watched a movie this evening. I managed not to burn the popcorn, I had never made it on the stove. It was delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment