Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Day 12 - Two Weeks

I like Cairo at 6 in the morning, aside from the fact that it is 6 am and I am awake, it is much quieter and peaceful. The air is cool, there are very few people out on the streets, not many cars driving past and there are nice birds chirping away. The calm and quiet only lasted for about a half hour but I surely enjoyed it while it lasted. A very nice change from inescapable noise that lasts all day and well into the night.

Class was crazy today. The kids were absolutely nuts and would not listen or sit down for more than 5 seconds. Very overwhelming and slightly frustrating but really I should not expect much more from kids so young. I am sure there will be many more days just like this to come. I tried my hand at teaching today...it did not go over so well, partly because I did not exactly get a very good explanation of what to do and also because the kids would not listen. Haha. Hopefully next time will be better. It was at least a decent attempt I guess.

I read out on the balcony for a while this afternoon. It was quite distracting just because there was so much to look at and so much going on but I got a few chapters read so that is good. An old man stared at me for a while from his balcony across the street and I also watched a boy throw things at the people walking below. He did not hit any of them but sure came close. What a punk. It reminded me of the scene in Little Women when the kids spit the olives out of their mouths from upstairs, down in to the party...quite entertaining.

I went for a walk down Noubar street just a little while ago. I was quite restless so I figured I would wander for a little bit. I found a shop where I can buy a notebook, which I recently decided I want to get. There were so many men out on the streets and sitting at coffee shops.
I wonder how so many men can just sit in coffee shops all day, or just sit around. Like are they out of a job? Taking a break? This is definitely something I will have to ask about because it is a very normal thing to see. I know that Egypt's unemployment rate is high so that could very well be a contributing factor.

I got 3 wrong number calls on my phone this evening, all from the same lady, looking for the same person. You wold think after the second time you would know you were dialing the wrong number. I guess 3rd time's the charm...but not in this woman's case. Hopefully she figured out the actual number she was trying to call.

According to my posts, I have been here for two weeks...two weeks! I have survived :) I have actually been gone for 14 days but that is only a technicality.

4 comments:

  1. Are all the satellite dishes for television? Wow, two weeks--hard to believe--we only have six weeks left of school and lots to do before then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a lot of satellite dishes!! What book are you reading? I don't know if I could read on a balcony in Cairo either...so much distraction. Our balcony is bad enough!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greetings from Aunt Debbie & Uncle Dick in Oregon! Your Dad just told us where you are. In the late 70's, I went to Cairo for 2 weeks. I worked for the Air Force. Back in those days, we had no blogs ... and the trip was a world-wind! My first trip on a plane and away from home! When you get back I'd love to hear all about your adventure. Till then, we'll read your blogs and be praying for you daily! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi honey- I lost the ability to post, but think I have it back- love the blog- your classes sound just like the grade 8's back home. Hang in there and have a sense of humour-like I have to tell YOU that- just chuckle and think- I am so going to put that in my blog tonight! Do you think the women do all the work and the men just sit around and visit all day? Weird!

    ReplyDelete