Well I have survived my second day in Cairo. Jet leg is kicking my butt. I got to see some of the city today. I went to the American University, I bought a phone for $40 so I can make local calls. I experienced a market today. A whole street full of venders selling fruits, vegetables, clothes and many other things. I am glad my roommate was there because, oh man, I do not know what I would have done. They speak so fast and I have no clue what they are saying, there are people crowding over you. It was an interesting but slightly overwhelming place. I am sure next time will be going there myself.
I met with Diana and Josh, they are MCCer's here, and I go to school with Diana's brother. It was so nice that I could get together with them. We went to Felfella (I think that is how it is spelt) for some food, which was on a street off the Midan Tahrir (the main square). My first experience eating egyptian food and it was good. We walked to the Nile after that. It was really cool to be there, it was much like any other body of water really, but just the fact that it is the Nile made it cool. Diana and Josh were so nice and helpful. They taught me a few sayings and numbers which will be helpful. I had a really good time with them. Diana also told something that I thought was interesting. She had a friend tell her there are different levels of strangeness. For instance, 3 white people walking together is strange. Wearing a short sleeve shirt adds another level of strange, same as how your hair is done, or what kind of bag you are carrying or if you are carrying around a bottled water. Each of these types of things add another level of strange giving people more reasons to pay attention to you.
I came home to a room full of people. They are co-workers with Natalie so I sat with them for some time and chatted. They are an interesting group of people.
So my second day here was more than just sleeping and sitting around, but it is going to take a while to get used to my surroundings. Cairo is a very different place with many new things to learn.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Wow Caryn- congratulations on just arriving! I am going to follow your experience with interest. Good luck honey!
ReplyDeleteMrs. R