My morning at the center was great. I taught the kids for a while and I talked with 2 of the teachers about where they are from and how they came to Cairo. The majority of St. Andrew's staff are refugee's which is great and it makes sense to employ the people you are trying to help. I can not even imagine all of the stories the people at St. Andrew's have to tell. I was talking to one of the teachers, Albino, he is from Southern Sudan and has been in Egypt for 8 years. He came with he brother and sister in-law to escape from the conflicts going on. In our talk he said to me "It is not the place but the people who make a place a heaven or hell." Obviously this is true but I had never heard it put in these words before and thought it was an interesting way of putting it. I would have loved to continue talking with him but it was time for class. Joseph one of the other teachers I was talking to while the kids had sport, his sister has been in Cairo since 2002 and still has not received and official refugee status. Seven years have gone by and the UNHCR, no one, has been able to help his sister. That is just ridiculous. I am sure that because of this she can not find a decent job, or any job at all.
I am really beginning to feel comfortable at the center, teachers are starting to know who I am and the kids are getting used to me and listening to me (for the most part). I am excited about this because it means that I am going to start learning more from the people there.
On a different note. I ate something that I never eat at home and actually enjoyed it....can you guess what it is?.....If you guessed peppers, You are correct! Orange and yellow peppers are actually quite tasty. Red ones not so much but they all tasted delicious in my stir fry. I am sad that I only bought one orange pepper and 2 yellow and the rest red because red are not the greatest. I don't know if it is just Cairo veggies but I might start eating peppers now :) Buying them was very interesting. I thought I knew my numbers but I had no clue what the men were saying so I just handed them money and waited for change. haha. It all worked out in the end. I only spent a $1 on 6 peppers and 1/4 kilo of green beans. Now that is what I am talking about.

Wow- those refugee stories are amazing- how will you come back and live a "normal" western, spoiled life we enjoy. I wish the food prices here were similar!
ReplyDeleteGood for you Caryn! I always told you peppers were tasty! They do look a different shape than our peppers here.
ReplyDeleteI am sure that you will hear of much suffering among the refugees or they would not have left their homeland. How sad. Makes me thankful for what I have.
Miss you and love hearing what is filling your days.
Peppers are tasty!! Now you just have to convince your extra-picky little sister the same thing and we'll be all set. Those peppers are probably a different shape because they are naturally grown and not cultivated and genetically modified to be "pretty".
ReplyDeleteI am glad that you are settling into life at the school. I'm sure you will hear many stories that will amaze and frustrate you.
Love you lots!
PS: It's finally sunny and warm here! A whopping 23 degrees yesterday, and a good thunderstorm in the evening.