Yesterday evening I met up with Diana again. We met Josh and two other MCCer's, Matt and Maggie for Shawarma a middle eastern wrap (chicken or beef wraps, like the meat is on a stick and is cooked by flame, then sliced very thinly. Not sure how else to describe it) and then ice cream with fruit. I was so full afterwards. It was very cheap as well, under 20 pounds which is around 4 dollars Canadian. We hung out outside the shop that we got the ice cream at for quite a while. It was fun and really nice to meet more of Diana's MCC friends. I stayed at Diana's for the night, which was nice because I got to see where she lives and I got to meet her dog Moose. He is so cute and full of energy. I barely slept lastnight which made today a hard day to get through. I am hoping I get some sleep tonight. I experienced a bidet at her place. She demonstrated it and the pressure was insane. Turn full on the stream of water went all the way across the bathroom into the tub. Quite entertaining. Diana lives in the Heliopolis area which one of the main parts of Cairo, built by a British Baron in early 1900's and has more European style architecture. It is quite different looking than my area of Cairo and is set up much better for traffic. The president lives in this area, it is the rich area where Egyptians live. Rich foreigners live in another area in the city. It was cool to see another part of the city. It is never ending.
I experienced almost all of Cairo's transportation yesterday and this morning. I took a micro-bus (a small van), they are the best to take if you are in a rush they drive so fast, then a taxi, a city bus and then the tram (a small train in the Heliopolis area). Taxi rides are cheap as long as you know how much you should pay for the trip you took because the drivers see that you are a foreigner and try to rip you off. I took the tram in the morning to get to the metro to go to work. It only costs 25 piastres, around 5 cents Canadian. The metro was absolutely jam packed of people, not an enjoyable thing. You think a city but can get full but nothing compared to here. You have to fight your way to the door in order to get off at the right stop. You can hardly move. I was and interesting ride especially because many of the women were talking about me. I wish I understood Arabic so I knew what they were saying :)
Work was a bit of a chore. I was exhausted and not feel 100% but I made it through and had a nap when I got home. I slept for probably 3 hours and felt a bit better. I went out for supper and ended up at Pizza Hut. So healthy and nutritious I know. Every resturant here is sit down and you are waited on, you can do take out but if you stay in you have a waiter serving you. So strange for the fast food resturants.
Oh man mosquitoes are out. I have many bits on my feet and arms.
I asked Diana what was appropriate for females being out in public with males. Basically it is not appropriate ever. If a woman is out with a man it is assumed that they are courting, basically. Even in groups, like we were last night, 3 girls 2 guys, us girls were with the girls and not with the guys but we were talking with them. It is very different from home where you can be around who ever you want to be. I think for foreigners it is a bit better but for a Egyptian man and woman they would have to be in a relationship. And the same for a foreigner and an Egyptian person.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Care,
ReplyDeleteSo enjoying reading about your adventures. What a wonderful experience. What's your favorite thing so far and your least fave? What's the time difference there?
hi care,
ReplyDeleteoh yay! I did it. I can now comment. Haven't had time to read all your blogs but thoroughly love them, you're a great blogger! thanks for all the info. hey, try and get some sleep. hopefully soon. take care
My favorite thing, I really like hanging out with Diana. My least favorite thing I think is going places I haven't been before alone and eating. I am 9 hours ahead of home, hence me not ever sleeping because my body is so screwed up. I am happy to hear you guys like the blog.
ReplyDeleteLove the blog Caryn! So interesting to go through the experience with you.
ReplyDeleteI hope your sleep patterns balance out soon so that you can actually enjoy things! I love your blog posts. You are a fab blogger. :)
ReplyDelete