Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Day 39 - Tested

Today I was tested mentally and physically.

Mentally.....Teaching grade 7 did not go so well in my opinion. The kids were much older than I had expected. I think some of them look 16,17 or 18 years old. Weird. Anyways, I have no clue if they understood what I tried to teach them. I hope they did because they are relying on me to teach them what they need to know. I hope tomorrow goes better. It is history so that may be easier.

Physically.....This afternoon my roommate and I made a trip to a clinic/hospital to get tested for the Swine Flu. A friend of Natalie's was here for a while and he has tested positive for the flu and is now being held at this clinic with 4 others with the flu until they are 'cured'. We wanted to get tested because if we do have the virus spreading it around the Sudanese community would be terrible. We found the administration building and a doctor from there drove us to another building where they took our names, age and address. They put us in a little room to wait to get our throats swabbed. While we were waiting we saw Joe, Natalie's friend, and the other flu carriers. I am glad I am not them. The second time they swabbed my throat I ended up in a coughing fit...yuck. So 2 swabs and we were released in to the public not knowing if we have the flu or not. We have to go back tomorrow to get our results. A great way of stopping the spread of the virus I think....letting potentially infected people out and about...haha.

I spent the rest of my evening wasting time on the internet and figuring out what I am going to teach tomorrow.

It was just another day in Cairo...always some adventure to be had or something new to experience.

1 comment:

  1. Well, I hope you don`t have the H1N1 flu virus, because being stuck in a clinic for four days would really suck. I`m sure you will do fine with your class tomorrow. It makes sense that some of them look older, because if they`re refugees, they may not have had consistent access to education, and so are behind in their schooling.

    ReplyDelete