I was with the grade 1's all morning today. There is a group of volunteers who are doing special classes/projects, like art, music and karate, etc with the students so my class was taken over by them. That is ok. I miss my little students. Besides being super tired it was a good morning. I was chatting with some of the new volunteers after class and it turns out one of the girls is living in the same building as I am. First person I have met from the building besides a young boy....
I talked with another one of the teachers today. He is from Darfur. Pretty incredible/sad story. His nationality/identity was taken away by the Sudanese government. So all of his family and tribe are not recognized as being Sudanese. This makes life incredibly difficult. I cannot imagine having my identification saying I am from Canada taken away from me. That is just insane. Yet another tragic and frustrating story.
I happened to see some friends at the center, and they were going to get some Sudanese food for lunch so I joined them. It was pretty decent. There was a soup which reminded me of the stews we have very often in South Africa. Bones, fat and all in it. I definitely didn't even try to eat it. I just can't stomach that. Eww.
I came home and washed my bedroom floor. It was pretty filthy. Then I napped for 3 hours. It was hot but lovely. I don't like using my a/c too often so I just deal with the heat.
My roommate and two other friends and I ordered some pasta from a really good pasta place for supper. It was only 10LE($2) and I got enough to feed 2 people. It barely even looked like I ate any of it. Leftovers....
My nap has made me not so tired so we shall see when I go to bed...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment