Sunday, June 21, 2009

Day 49-51 - Anafora

I went to Anafora, a Christian retreat center, this weekend with Josh and Diana. It was a wonderfully relaxing time in a beautiful place.

We took the bus there which only cost a dollar for an hour and a half trip. We got off the bus in front of Anafora, which just happened to be on the side of the highway, very interesting. We found our rooms once we arrived. Very nice, 2 rooms with beds, mosquito netting included and a bathroom.There were dead cochroaches around the rooms but we never saw any live ones thank goodness. We got to the center just in time for lunch. The meals were good, and all of it was Egyptian foods so it was nice to try more Egyptian foods. Anafora is a beautiful place. Very interesting buildings. There is a pool but the water was not clean which was dissapointing. We napped away the heat every afternoon after lunch. Supper was at 7 so if we weren't napping we were reading. We drank lots of hot chocolate made from cocoa powder, milk powder and sugar. Quite delicious. After supper both Friday and Saturday, we went up on the roof of our building, read while the sun was setting. I saw my first Egypt sunset, so beautiful. There was a church service at 9 every night. The chapel was different and nice inside. I didn't understand what was being said but it was an interesting experience. On Friday we played taboo, we wanted to play Monopoly but half the game was missing. Saturday evening we chatted in our room by candle light. There is electricity there but only lights in the bathroom and it sometimes went out. It was a great weekend out of the city, very relaxing. AND I finally saw a night sky full of stars. So incredibly wonderful. We left Sunday morning. We had to cross 6 lanes of highway so we could be on the right side of the road to catch a micro bus. They just stop if you wave them down, so strange. The micro bus was way faster than the bus we took on Thursday. It was a decent ride home. I made it home around 11:30. It was another weekend of basically nothing, but nothing is good and I got see another place in Egypt which was beautiful. I would definitely go back, that is for sure.

I went to a coffee shop and finished the book I read all weekend. The Pelican Brief by John Grisham. I recommend him. Great book.



2 comments:

  1. We are sometimes so busy we don't take time to appreciate something as simple but amazing as a sunset or sky full of stars- you have inspired me to slow down a bit and enjoy a world without distraction!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like such a relaxing time!! And of course, beautiful pictures!!

    ReplyDelete