A little history lesson for you: The Citadel was home to Egypt's rulers for almost 700 years. It is one of the most popular tourist places in Cairo. It was originally founded in 1176 by the Muslim commander Salah ad-Din. It has mosques, museums and battlements that show a diverse heritage. The Citadel is divided into 3 sections. The Southern Enclosure is the main tourist area (so where I was today). It has the Mosque of an-Nasr Mohammed, and the 19th century Mosque of Mohammed Ali. This mosque was the best thing to see. It was so incredible inside. There were so many hanging lights and the ceiling had amazing designs. So gorgeous.
I went to the Military Museum and the Police Museum. The military museum was interesting enough and the building was very nice.
I had to buy a water there because I drank all of what I brought...7LE. On the street it is 1.5LE. Gotta love tourist places.
So yes there was a lot to see at the Citadel. I spent about 4 hours there, wandering and taking many pictures. It was nice. I got the student price, which was only 25LE instead of 50LE. I was stoked on that. The first pictures here are of inside the Mohammed Ali Mosque. The best place. So absolutely gorgeous.

Gorgeous pictures, Caryn! I love the self-portraits. You always take the best ones! The Citadel looks beautiful!
ReplyDeleteSo beautiful.
ReplyDelete