Thursday, June 4, 2009

Day 33 - In The Dark

I had an interesting morning at the center. Faten the teacher that I help did not show up, so there I was with 19 children not really know what to do...at all. I taught them as best as I could. It is quite hard to control children who do not really understand you, and also who only really respond to being asked to sit and be quiet. It was a draining morning but I got through it.

I am still waiting to figure out what exactly I will be teaching for the grade 6 class. I am assuming they know enough English that they will understand me and listen to me...I hope :)

This evening I sat in on Diana's last English class of this term. I had met some of her students before so it was nice to see them again. They apparently missed me, haha, even after only meeting me once. The class was fun. We ended up chatting for a while after. We were talking about movies and favorite actors came up. Egyptians apparently love Nicholas Cage and think he is amazing and good looking. He is not the greatest actor and he is not that good looking and they just do not understand how we can think that. I think it is funny. We made plans to go bowling this Friday. According to the students I must come and have no choice in the matter. Haha, it is a good thing I do not have plans, otherwise they would not be happy if I was not there :) Diana and I went to Cook Door (Egyptian equivalent to McDonalds's I guess) for supper afterwards. It was pretty good, really good fries and a ginormous burger. The power just happened to go out while we were sitting there finishing our meal. We stayed there chatting for some time. Diana gave me another mini-Arabic lesson in the dark. We left when we were the last ones in the place. It was getting hot anyways without the a/c running.

I took the metro home and had a man attach himself to me. It was fine. He sells shoes and has very cool plasticy business cards.

That was my day.

Obama is here tomorrow. I am wondering what the streets are going to be like. Whether they are going to be busy of quiet because places are closed for Obama. We will see.

Check this out: http://english.aljazeera.net/news/middleeast/2009/06/2009639584323766.html

2 comments:

  1. Hi Caryn,

    I look forward to hearing what it was like in Cairo tomorrow with Obama's visit. Very interesting news report.

    Sounds like you had a very busy day. Love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would trust anyone that sells shoes AND has very cool plasticy business cards!!

    ReplyDelete